Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Rock Bottom

I just got back from the gym, running two miles. That was rough, and hopefully it was rock bottom (thanks, Kiss). Granted, I didn't run all out. I planned to try to follow somewhat of a plan I saw online to get back into running. My intention was to run 3 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes, repeat. It ended up taking 24:45. That's better than sitting on the couch, and it's even better than when I started running. If you look on my Athlinks page you will see my first 5K (at least recorded on Athlinks) was January 7, 2006 and 40:36. My next was one year later and 42:58. Despite running nearly every Saturday and Sunday I didn't get below 37:00 until September 2007. So, that's good. I think I could complete a 5K in maybe 34 minutes now, but that is a long way off from February - March 2012 when I ran two at 28:50 and 28:53 respectively. At one time I was running 14 minute miles and my fastest mile was about 8:25-8:30. Pretty good for 6'1 and at my best running weight about 235. Now I am back to 12:30 per mile...but not really that far off from 10:42 I don't think. There was a time a few months ago when I would occasionally run 2 miles at 21:40 or so. With some repeated runs I think I could get back there quickly. Now getting back to below 9 minute miles will take a loss of about 35 pounds and some training from my new coach. Struggling to do 2 miles sure makes 13.1 seem like a long way off...here's hoping I get back at it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment