Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Preparing for Boston

Here it is Wednesday, and the trip originally booked almost 3 months ago is just days away. The idea for the trip started in 2007 or 2008 when I discovered the Trollinger marathon in Heilbronn, Germany. I wanted to run it last year, but didn’t – thinking instead I should do my first marathon in celebration of my 40th birthday. Now it is 2010 and technically I am not 40 until September, and like most of my runs, I have not trained – so instead I listened to advice from my coworker and registered for the half marathon. I have completed 5 half marathons, so the distance isn’t new, but the elevation of the Bavarian Alps will be new as will be international running. This fits in my goal of joining the 7 Continents Club by running a half or full marathon on all 7 continents. North America: check, and soon to come, Europe. As long as the ash clouds from the Icelandic volcano cooperate, the flight should be fine. I have a week or so to worry about that.

Right now it is thinking about the itinerary and packing. The first flight leaves Saturday at 6AM on Delta from Phoenix to Salt Lake City. After a one hour layover, I take off for Boston. I should get in around 4:30 on May 8 and will spend a few days stateside seeing sights that I have missed with each prior trip to New England. One thing to know about my traveling technique – the destination of the flight and typically the hotel serve only as a base of operations. Often the trip diverts from there.

Among the highlights tentatively planned (as I say, all plans are soft). I have not worked out the 2 days in Boston yet, but I do know I am staying at the Homewood Suites in Peabody, MA. I have stayed there maybe 10 times in the past, often in the same room – déjà vu … Leaving Boston, I am headed to Niagara Falls for 2 days. I have never been there, so I am hoping to ride the Maid of the Mist, the Whirlpool Jet Tour (which could be scary since I do not know how to swim – hope I don’t go overboard), and the Cave of the Winds. Also I want to swing by Cooperstown, NY to the baseball hall of fame and over to Sleep Hollow, NY to look for headless horsemen…

I know – sounds ambitious. That’s why the packing now is crucial. Many people might be happy with a trip to Boston, or a trip to Niagara Falls, or a trip to Germany – all 3 in a 10 day span is definitely action packed. Jet boat tours, boat rides, waterfalls, half marathons – the adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment