Friday, May 7, 2010

T-Minus 24 hours

Tomorrow morning is the big day - need to spend today finishing up house cleaning, stopping the mail, some school work and last minute packing. Purchased some new luggage at Kohl's last weekend for the trip. The large suitcase I typically use I swiped from my Mom when I flew to Ohio for my Dad's funeral and didn't have enough luggage to carry some things hope. That bag has seen its better days. In fact it doesn't even have the pulleys on the zipper anymore. You have to rub the zipper around for it to move - not good!

Another big attraction with the Wurtemburg region of Germany is Trollinger wine (hence the name of the marathon). When I lived in Atlanta, the DeKalb Farmer's Market carried a wine made with Trollinger grapes and I ordered most of what they had. My grandmother and father were able to have the Emporium in Yellow Springs, OH order some as well - but those distributors have since went out of business and Trollinger wine is difficult at best to get here in the states. There is a winery in Iowa that grows a domestic version, but they do not sell direct - they only ship to wine merchants. Trouble with Arizona is that wine can only be imported through an Arizona distributor, so there goes that. Short story long, people want me to bring some back. I can't carry it on because it is over 3 oz. I can't ship it internationally - so that means checked luggage. Here's the plan - I don't need two bags, but thanks to my Delta Silver Medallion status (repping the low rung, but hey, it's got perks!) I get two free bags. Inside my big, unfilled suitcase will be my Dad's old Air Force duffle bag. Coming back, clothes can go in there, wine in the suitcase and there you have it. At least that's how it looks on paper.

Might have to hit up a happy hour tonight in celebration of the journey tomorrow. First leg: Phoenix to Salt Lake City.

No comments:

Post a Comment